Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Registered Nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary care team. This role provides patient centric care and is primarily responsible for nursing assessment and diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
In addition to primary responsibilities of the Registered Nurses (RN), the Infusion RN will have the following key responsibilities:
Nursing Care and Assessment
- Demonstrate knowledge of standard treatment and medication side effects
- Perform nursing assessment, review relevant lab results, assess pain and other symptoms
- Administer IV hydration, electrolyte replacement, chemotherapy/biotherapy, and blood products
Safe Handling of Hazardous Drugs
- Demonstrate an awareness of the potentially hazardous nature of many of the agents administered and uses correct precautions when handling them
- Follow all procedures regarding safe disposal of any materials used in the administration of chemotherapy or other hazardous agents and blood products
Patient and Family Education
- Provide patient and family education in coordination with treatment and care plan
- Conduct learning needs assessment for patient and caregiver(s)
- Ensure patients have clinic contact information and understand when to call if symptoms arise or persist post-infusion therapy
Communication and Teamwork
- Communicate or escalate patient symptoms and concerns to provider as needed
- Collaborate with the care team to provide effective and efficient patient care
- Request consultation from social work, dietician, spiritual care, and or any other supportive care teams when patient's situation indicates
Professional Development and Clinic Engagement
- Participation in continuing education, departmental projects, committee work, and quality improvement initiatives
- ONS Chemotherapy Provider Card (required within 3 months of hire)
- Certification in oncology or specialty practice area
- 2 years of RN Oncology experiencein an ambulatory infusion setting
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, and there are no exceptions for any employee who is patient-facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center facilities. Exceptions exist only for employees whose positions are fully remote, with no required access to campus. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees requiring access to campus must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $38.67 to $73.48 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. Registered Nurses are paid on a step-scale basis and are also eligible for shift differentials and other pay premiums such as advanced degree, preceptor and certification.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months). Paid time off is prorated for part-time positions.
This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.